To get in shape and remain fit and healthy, it is important to be physically active. There are a variety of ways you can exercise, one of the most effective is cycling. Cycling is a low impact exercise that can be done either indoors on an electric bike or outdoors. This form of exercise is particularly popular because it is relatively easy, affordable and flexible, meaning you can make it as intensive as you like based on where you cycle. Riding your bicycle regularly is one of the best ways to reduce your risk of health problems associated with a sedentary lifestyle.
Cycling is mostly an aerobic activity, meaning it works your heart, blood vessels, and lungs. You will breathe deeper, sweat more, and have a higher body temperature, all of which will improve your overall fitness.
- Increase cardiovascular fitness
- Increased muscle strength
- Better endurance
- Improves mobility
- Increases flexibility
- Improves posture
- Reduces body fat
Cycling can improve your brain’s cognition, functioning, and physical structure. It can even slow your brain’s ageing and help it become more efficient by building neurons and growing the hippocampus. Here are some of the mental benefits of regular cycling:
- Stress management
- Reduced anxiety and depression
- Boosts mood
- Increases mindfulness
- Improves self esteem and confidence
Other benefits of cycling
In addition to the long list of physical and mental health benefits of cycling, there are a number of other benefits that definitely make cycling worthwhile.
- Cycling is an environmentally friendly mode of transportation- since bicycles don’t emit any greenhouse gases during use, they are the most eco-friendly method of transport and using them to commute is an excellent way to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Cycling is an efficient way to travel- avoid the traffic in rush hour by using cycle lanes and routes to get around quicker.
- Bikes are affordable- Although higher quality bikes and brands are likely to be more expensive, a standard bike is generally very affordable.
- Bicycles are easy to repair yourself- unlike a car, if you don’t have any knowledge or experience of repair and maintenance, you don’t necessarily need to pay a mechanic to fix any issues. There are a number of YouTube channels and blogs that can show you the ropes, our favourite is Cycle Maintenance Academy who produce easy to follow cycle maintenance and repair guides.
- Can improve social life- the cycling community is constantly growing, it is a great way to meet new like minded people.